Zoom meeting here, virtual conference there. Online gathering here, digital learning there. With so many offerings, being online daily and attending virtual events has become the norm. Because we’re usually attending from home, while also juggling a ton of other responsibilities, it’s hard to always be on point. Here we’ve rounded up our thoughts on being the best virtual event guest – and getting the most out of the online experience.
Top 5: Be the Perfect Virtual Event Guest:
1. Log in Early: Nothing says frazzle & frustration more than when the internet "breaks" so you’re coming in hot….and late. Click the virtual event link at least 5 minutes before in case you need to close it out and try again, or if your computer needs a restart. If you're attending a Zoom meeting, 1-2 minutes before and you're good.
2. Come in muted: Who loves the sound of dogs barking in the background? A tea kettle going off? That creepy breathing?! Yup, no one! Be cool and mute upon entry. 😉
3. Turn your camera ON: I know it may be frustrating to be camera ready all the time, but you’ll get more value if you do. There may be breakout rooms, opportunities to ask questions to the speaker, fun engaging games, virtual photo booths or social networking lounges to join. You'll instantly be more engaged with you can see others and they see you, the whole tone changes - we promise, it's way more fun.
4. Engage: Network. Isn’t that what we miss from in-person events? Use the chat, send private messages, join social walls, ask questions, post photos and comments, connect with attendees on LinkedIn. There are so many ways to stay connected online, some events even offer early log in so you can create a profile and be professionally matched to connect with others.
5. Consider the event: If it’s a social event or wedding, consider dressing up and having a drink ready to toast the couple. Virtual gathering with friends? Organize an online game or do trivia through polling. Is it a cooking event? Read the recipe before and get the ingredients ready to follow along. Business meeting? Have an idea ready to share or use the collaboration white board tool through screen share.
Showing up is half the battle. Although it may seem like all you do is zoom all day, try to change your perspective. Discover all the networking opportunities or uncover ideas that spark with virtual collaborations. (Secret reveal: the idea for this blog came from one of our virtual events!)
Challenge yourself to make the most of your digital interactions and discover what you like most about online gatherings. Use what you like most as a catalyst for planning your next virtual event. Still stuck? Call us!